Sloppy Joe's with Salad

5:57 pm


Sunday afternoon and I'm standing around the kitchen wondering what to eat that won't make me feel all gross and heavy on this super hot day. I wanted something kinda healthy, but didn't want a plain salad.

I was on Pinterest, because that's my go to for dinner ideas, and came across Sloppy Joe's. I didn't want to get mince out of the freezer, because it was 6pm and I was feeling super lazy.. Get my point? I wanted something easy.

Enter Quinoa. I love it.


I made up a quick salad to go with it, instead of a burger bun and my dinner was ready by 7pm to relax on the couch, and catch up Nashville. { Which I'm still reeling // shocked by!! }

This is also super yummy on cooked buttered Turkish bread also if you're not a salad lover.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup quinoa + 2 cups water
3/4 tomato sauce
3 tbsp. soy sauce
1 can of chickpeas, drained
1/2 red onion, diced
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp. garlic minced
1 tsp rice malt syrup
1 tsp white vinegar

SALAD
1/4 red onion, sliced thinly
Handful of Spinach leaves
Cherry tomatoes, sliced
Beetroot, sliced
1/2 avocado, sliced

METHOD
✚  Cook quinoa according to instructions on packet. Prepare salad while this is cooking.
✚  Once quinoa is cooked, add in all other ingredients. Gently stir and cook until chickpeas are soft.
✚  Serve in a bowl with the salad lightly mixed through it and enjoy!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

✚ ✚

✚ All content, including text, recipes, and photographs are copyright melissabender // sweetlymel © 2014 - 2016 unless otherwise stated. If you use an image, please link it back. ✚